Date:      15 Feb 2001 15:18:37 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tx underrun Re: (none)

Sure, but as I said the first time:

> > > A tx underrun is caused by the computer not keeping up with the NIC
> > > rather than the other way around, so it's basically a question of what
> > > was keeping the computer from servicing the buffer-empty interrupts.
> > > Any other interrupt that took too long being serviced could do that,
> > > so it's hard to say what caused it in this case.

Most computers can keep up with most links that they might be attached
to (anything you buy today has the horsepower to easily flood a 100-Mbps
Ethernet, for example), so the amount of traffic isn't relevant.  Having
a very slow machine isn't enough, either, although the slower the
computer is, the more easily some other distraction can cause the NIC to
be ignored until an underrun has occurred.  This is particularly true if
that distraction is itself something driven by interrupts, because other
interrupt service routines will generally lock out the NIC interrupt
until they are done with their own work.

The reason that a slower machine can demonstrate this kind of problem
more easily is just that it can do less work in the fixed time between
(a) the NIC transmit buffer becoming almost empty and (b) the transmit
buffer actually emptying (after which you have an underrun).

Be well.