Date:      04 Aug 1998 13:54:34 +0200
From:      dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling Coidan =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= )
To:        Thomas Dean <tomdean@ix.netcom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems Restarting xdm

Thomas Dean <tomdean@ix.netcom.com> writes:
> The XFree86 readme suggests starting xdm from /etc/ttys.  The FreeBSD
> FAQ suggests starting xdm from rc.local.  Either way, if there is, for
> example, a power glitch reboot, xdm will not start without root
> intervention.  I believe this is because the pid file exists.

Eh? IANAL, but I don't think the existence of a pid file has anything
to do with this. If you bothered to read your logs, you'd soon find
out that the X server is complaining about a lock file (/tmp/.X0-lock)
which was left behind by the previous server if it didn't exit cleanly
(as would happen in the case of a power glitch). This, and whether xdm
should be started from /etc/ttys or /etc/rc*, has been discussed ad
nauseam on this and other lists, as you'd know if you'd searched the
archives before posting.

Anyway, the location of the pid file is determined by the xdm-config
file, which is part of the XFree86 distribution and therefore Not Our
Cup Of Tea (tm). I doubt you'd have any luck convincing the XFree86
people to ship a different X*cfg.tgz just for FreeBSD.

/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/xdm-errors is your friend.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - dag-erli@ifi.uio.no