Date:      Wed, 30 May 2001 10:16:56 -0400
From:      Andrew Barros <abarros@tjhsst.edu>
To:        rich@rdrose.org
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freebsd rootkit

--sXc4Kmr5FA7axrvy

My apologies to the humor impaired, it was intented to be funny.

	-ajb

On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 03:10:23PM +0100, rich@rdrose.org wrote:
->On Wed, 30 May 2001, Andrew Barros wrote:
->> Someone should add it in ports.
->
->Now, to me, that seems like a *reallly* bad idea. Imagine the situation:
->Some not so nice person keeps an eye on the ports tree for software with
->vulnerabilites that are not yet fixed, or indeed uses FreeBSD and keeps an
->up to date ports tree. They will see the words "rootkit".
->
->Can you imagine that? The look on their face. They'll re-read it. They'll
->stop and think for a moment. They'll re-read it again. Then, this thought
->will fly through their mind: "If I ever break into a FreeBSD machine, I've
->got a free rootkit. I don't even need to bother covering my tracks
->cleverly anymore".
->
->I would suggest *not* putting the rootkit in the ports tree, if only to
->save those who have only just installed FreeBSD and are just learning the
->Unix world.
->
->rik
->
->
->
->To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org
->with "unsubscribe freebsd-security" in the body of the message
---end quoted text---

--=20
Andrew Barros <abarros@tjhsst.edu>
PGP Key Fingerprint:
D3B8 0800 C45A 143E 5CF0  E112 0A1B AB36 B655 1FB8

--sXc4Kmr5FA7axrvy

--sXc4Kmr5FA7axrvy--