Date:      Wed, 10 Oct 2001 20:06:56 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        Scott Gerhardt <scott@gerhardt-it.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
Subject:   Re: ftpd logging

On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 04:38:31PM -0600, Scott Gerhardt wrote:
> Thanks Annelise!
>
> Putting the following into the syslog.conf worked:
>
> !ftpd
>  *.*
>
> The "ftp.*" as indicateded in the documentation does NOT work.

I can tell you it DOES work for the ftpd(8) that comes with
FreeBSD. It may or may not work with third party daemons. However, you
didn't show us your whole syslog.conf(5). If you are using the FreeBSD
ftpd(8), your original syslog.conf(5) was probably in error. For
example, did you tag the 'ftp.*' line near the end after other
'!<program>' entries?
                                         cjclark@jhu.edu
                                         cjc@freebsd.org