Date:      Sat, 25 Apr 1998 15:40:55 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   486 - Pushing it for an X-Server?

Hi,

I have a 486DX4-100 which I would like to use as a 'remote' terminal system
for my main machine (which is a dual PPro 200 running 3.0-CURRENT).

The 486 has 16Mb of RAM and a Trident (!Chipset forgotten - but supported by
SVGA X-Server!) VESA Local bus card.

The machine has a 1Gb IDE drive.

Is this machine going to be fast enough for me to run as an X-Server display
for programs started on my machine machine?

I'll probably be using Netscape mainly + a few other programs / utilities...

I guess if the software is running on the big one, 16Mb of RAM should be
enough for the X-Server?

Any comments? (Apart from 'buy a new machine? <G>)

Regards,

Karl Pielorz