Date:      Sat, 2 May 1998 09:42:58 -0400
From:      "Harry Patterson" <harry@visiontm.com>
To:        "John Kelly" <jak@cetlink.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: PPPD and Proxyarp

John,

Thanks for the reply.

I know the 192.168 is reserved for Intranet's only, that's why I am using
them on the ethernet and trying to use PPPD to obtain the Internet
addresses. PPPD man pages say you can do it this way and the handbook
provides almost this exact example using PPP. My understanding is that
proxyarp is supposed to provide this "aliasing" so that the local net can
use the PPPD connection. I had it working once using PPP by playing with
manual settings which I thought I documented well, but now can't reproduce
:-( . I haven't yet gotten PPPD to work with the proxyarp.

Harry

On Sat, 2 May 1998 07:49:54 -0400, "Harry Patterson"
<harry@visiontm.com> wrote:

>The man page for PPPD says "The proxyarp option causes pppd to look for a
>network interface on the same subnet as the remote host". I assume this is
>my problem as my local net is 192.168.93 and my PPP connection is
>208.236.113.

You can't use 192.168.x.x on the Internet!

They are unregistered addresses for internal use only.  You have to
set up NATD/IPFW to get address translation if you want 192.168.x.x
hosts to talk on the Internet.