Date:      Sat, 20 Feb 1999 18:40:33 -0500
From:      Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        David Welton <davidw@master.debian.org>, FreeBSD-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NetBSD/Linux 'distribution'

On Sat, Feb 20, 1999 at 04:18:19PM -0700, Wes Peters wrote:

> Well, no, they *are* allowed to change the license.  They're still
> required to give credit, though.

FWIW, items 2 and 3 indicate that none of the following language may be
removed. I'm not sure what the precedent is for adding additional language
to the license, but it would seem that the most that could be accomplished
would be the generation of a conflict, in which case I would expect that
the copyright exists as a part of this, and given further that you can't
arbitrarily change the copyright holder. IANAL, and I'm not sure if it's
possible to legally view the source in question as being more granular than
the single file that contains the notice, which, if possible, would certainly
affect my interpretation to some extent.

 * Copyright (c) 1989, 1993, 1994
 *      The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.
 *
 * are met:
 *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
 *    documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
 * 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software
 *    must display the following acknowledgement:
 *      This product includes software developed by the University of
 *      California, Berkeley and its contributors.
 * 4. Neither the name of the University nor the names of its contributors
 *    may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software
 *    without specific prior written permission.
 *
 * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE REGENTS AND CONTRIBUTORS ``AS IS'' AND
 * ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
 * IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE
 * ARE DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL THE REGENTS OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE
 * FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL
 * DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS
 * OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION)
 * HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT
 * LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY
 * OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF
 * SUCH DAMAGE.

> > The distribution would hypothetically be named Debian GNU/FreeBSD or
> > something like that, and we would obviously give back anything good we
> > happened to create.
>
> But would it be infected with the GPL virus?  I doubt anyone here in
> BSD-land would be at all interested, if it were to be.
>
> > > If they want to do it, I say let them.  I'm betting they just grab a
> > > kernel, and the hardware support was why they approached NetBSD.
> >
> > This "let them" is kind of what I was curious about - we wouldn't
> > really want to do anything like this without at least a neutral
> > reaction from whichever group's work we used.  It would be a waste of
> > our time if we were openly in conflict with the group..
>
> I doubt you'll hear an considerable shouting over it.  Our license
> allows you to do whatever you want with the code, including compile
> it, run it, GPL it, smoke it, or get it tattooed onto your behind.
> You just have to give credit where it's due.
>
> And yes, I *will* be ready, willing, and able to inspect that tattoo
> for the copyright notice.  ;^)
>
> > As far as bets, mine would be on nothing happening at all, as I'm not
> > sure there are enough people interested in actually *doing* something
> > (I'm not one of them, I have plenty of other projects to work on:-).
>
> Ditto.
>
> > As far as why NetBSD - that was my initiative.  Of course, people
> > interested in doing this would have to battle it out amongst
> > themselves over which BSD to use.
>
> I think from your standpoint the differentiation factor would be how
> many different platforms you want to support.  There are other
> differences, but I'm not sure they'd really stand out to a project
> such as this.
>

> --
>        "Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?"
>
> Wes Peters                                                 Softweyr LLC
> http://www.softweyr.com/~softweyr                      wes@softweyr.com

Mason Loring Bliss             ((  "In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams
mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us  ))  build  their nest  with fragments  dropped
http://acheron.ne.mediaone.net ((   from day's caravan." - Rabindranath Tagore