Date:      Tue, 7 Jan 1997 21:10:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        freebsd-bugs
Subject:   Re: kern/2409: psm0: unable to set the command byte. psm0 not found at 0x60

The following reply was made to PR kern/2409; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To: Mark Schleifer <marks@roto.digex.net>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject: Re: kern/2409: psm0: unable to set the command byte. psm0 not found
	 at 0x60
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 1997 14:05:08 +0900

 >] >>How-To-Repeat:
 >] >
 >] >Kernel made with following config file.  This file worked with SNAPs and
 >] >ALPHA after applying PAO patches. Also tried with PSM_NO_RESET with BETA
 >] >but that caused the keyboard to lockup at first input request.
 >]
 >] PSM_NO_RESET is no longer available in 2.2-BETA, thus, has nothing to do
 >] with the keyboard lockup; the lockup which shouldn't be happening *sigh*
 >
 >Interesting...It was just giving me the errors until I added that
 >config option (which it didn't complain about).  With that option in,
 >it doesn't allow keyboard input.

 You mean, PSM_NO_RESET made `psm' to recognize your PS/2 mouse
 (trackball) successfully?  Strange. I am very sure that PSM_NO_RESET
 has no effect on `psm' now...

 >] Did you see any message from the `sc' (syscons) driver on boot?
 >
 >sc had no errors during boot.  Just the usual:
 >
 >Jan  7 22:13:07 otor /kernel: sc0 at 0x60-0x6f irq 1 on motherboard
 >Jan  7 22:13:07 otor /kernel: sc0: VGA color <16 virtual consoles, flags=0x0>
 >
 >] I would also ask you to add
 >]     options "KBDIO_DEBUG=2"
 >] to your config file. With this option `sc' and `psm' drivers will log
 >] quite a few messages via `syslogd' on boot and later. The messages are
 >] marked with "kbdio: blugh blugh".
 >
 >I did this but saw nothing in the syslogs.  What does it log them
 >under? kern.debug?

 Yes, you should find logs under kern.debug. You should see something like:

 ..... kbdio: X char read (empty_both_buffers)
 ..... kbdio: RESET_KBD return code:00fa
 ..... kbdio: RESET_KBD status:00aa
 ..... sc0 at 0x60-0x6f irq 1 on motherboard
 ..... sc0: VGA color <16 virtual consoles, flags=0x0>

 ..... kbdio: TEST_AUX_PORT status:0000
 ..... kbdio: RESET_AUX return code:00fa
 ..... kbdio: RESET_AUX status:00aa
 ..... kbdio: RESET_AUX ID:0000
 ..... psm0 at 0x60-0x64 irq 12 on motherboard
 ..... psm0: device ID 0, 3 buttons

 >Just for grins, I tried starting moused again, which crashed immediately:
 >
 ># moused -p /dev/psm0 -t ps/2

 You need to apply the patch to prevent the crash.

 Kazu