Date:      Mon, 7 Oct 2002 20:27:09 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Weird f77/PGIf90 behaviour in FBSD 4.7-RC!

Hello.

On several machines we use FreeBSD 4.6.2-pl2 and Portland PGI 4.0
Compilersuite.
On one SMP machine I installed FreeBSD 4.7-RC, last cvsupdate 4 days ago:

FreeBSD edda.physik.uni-mainz.de 4.7-RC FreeBSD 4.7-RC #115: Thu Oct  3 21:02:07 CEST 2002
root@edda.physik.uni-mainz.de:/usr/local/obj/usr/src/sys/EDDA  i386

Now one scientist reports this weird error message to me:

When she compiles a fortran program on any machine running FreeBSD 4.6.2-pl2
with pgf90 or pgf77, she has no problem getting the right code and a working
binary. When doing the same on the FreeBSD 4.7-RC machine, she gets after typing
in the program's name to run it 'Abort trap'. The code seems to be pure F77, so
I tried to compile the piece oft software with the FreeBSD native f77 compiler.
On all FreeBSD 4.6.2-pl2 systems there is no problem, I get a working binary.
But compiling it on the FreeBSD 4.7-RC machine remains the binary unuseable
with the 'Abor trap' error message. I applied a 'truss' command on the execution,
but on FreeBSD 4.7-RC I get

	process exited before exec'ing

When compiling on FreeBSD 4.7-RC I get this compiler warning:

/usr/lib/libg2c.so: warning: tempnam() possibly used unsafely; consider using mkstemp()

As a result I get the following:

on FBSD 4.6.2-pl2 machines everything compiles right, on FBSD 4.7-RC machines I get
unuseable code.

Can anybody help?

--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de
IT-Administration des Institutes fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinenraum)