Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2000 23:26:30 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        "Crist J . Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: internal auth and inetd don't seem to like each other

On 17 Sep 2000, at 3:38, Ben Smithurst wrote:

> Dan Langille wrote:
>
> > Within the first dozen or so lines of output, I see this:
> >
> > ADD : auth proto=tcp accept=1 max=0 user=root
> > group=(null)class=daemon builtin=0x80501f0 server=internal policy=""
> >
> > It appears that inetd needs to be restarted to get the internal auth to
> > work.  A mere HUP won't work.
>
> If that's true, I'd say that's a bug.  I can't seem to reproduce the
> problem here though.

I know think this is a bug.  Here's some more information.

I was playing around with this ident script tonight:

# more /usr/local/etc/ident.sh
#!/bin/sh
ident=`/bin/date +%s`
xxx=`/usr/bin/head -c 11`
echo $xxx : USERID:UNIX:$ident

And in /etc/inetd.conf:

auth    stream  tcp     nowait  nobody  /usr/local/etc/ident.sh     auth

and a killall -hup inetd

Then I did this to test the auth:

$ telnet 192.168.0.20 113
Trying 192.168.0.20...
Connected to ducky.nz.freebsd.org.
Escape character is '^]'.
121212
0 , 0 : ERROR : UNKNOWN-ERROR
Connection closed by foreign host.

There is no way that script can create that message.

So I killed inetd and restarted it with -d.

$ telnet 192.168.0.20 113
Trying 192.168.0.20...
Connected to ducky.nz.freebsd.org.
Escape character is '^]'.
131312
1312
 131 : USERID:UNIX:969535308
Connection closed by foreign host.

Which is expected.

It appears a hup of inetd does not take notice that the auth is now
different.  The old auth was:

#auth   stream  tcp     nowait  root    internal        auth -r -f -n -o
UNKNOWN -t 30

which is the standard internal auth.

comments please
--