Date:      Wed, 5 Sep 2001 13:38:28 -0700
From:      "Kory Hamzeh" <kory@avatar.com>
To:        "Todd Reed" <ex279@hotmail.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Dump and Restore

When running dump and specifying the /dev/n* tape device, dump will write
each backup volume as a separate file on the tape. If you do a rewind in
between each dump command, you will end up only with the last file system
dump'ed to the tape.

So make sure you do not issue a rewind (and don't use the tape device that
does not begin with "n"). Assuming you did this correctly, you need to use
the "mt" command to seek to different volumes. To go to a specific volume on
the tape drive, you need to use the "mt fsf" command.

For example, assuming your tape is currently rewound, doing a restore at
this point will access data backed up in the /tmp file system. If you wanted
to restore /var, you need to issue "mt -f /dev/nrsa0 fsf 2". That means move
forward 2 file marks. The tape will then be sitting at the begining of the
/var volume.

Kory