Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2000 21:28:44 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        tony.johansson@svenskakyrkan.se (Tony Johansson)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Re: NATD question

Tony Johansson wrote,
> Situation:
> 1 assigned valid ip-address
> T1 internet access
> 3 computers running ftp,realaudio and various gameservers
>
> Problem:
> Computers should all be accessable from the internet on a PORT basis (port
> 23 tcp for comp1, port 7000 udp for comp2, port 27015 udp for comp3 etc)
>
> I gather this is solvable using freebsd with, my question are as follows:
>
> What kind of machine is sufficient to handle this? (486/pentium, cpu speed)
> What elements are of most importance performancewise? (nic,cpu,disk etc)
>

> I'm presently running redhat6.0 with ipmasq but find performance degrading
> with uptime. This machine is however host to a pretty massive ftpserver
> aswell. I hope moving to freebsd as a dedicated router will solve this.

If you are on a T1, any ol' 10BaseT NICs are an order of magnitude
faster than what is coming over your pipe to the outside. The T1 speed
also means CPU speed is not critical if the machine is purely doing
things like IPFW and NATd.

If you are going to go with an older machine, the only thing I would
make sure to watch for is that is has enough RAM. You do NOT want your
daemons to have to be swapping in and out. RAM becomes even more
important if this machine is doing ftpd (as you somewhat imply, or is
the ftpd machine behind it?). A pile of ftpd's running at once can add
up. I'd also want fast disks if its a busy ftp server.

My $0.02.