Date:      Wed, 25 Jul 2001 10:29:45 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: freebsd box as a porn filter?

Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com> types:
> In which case I'd say what's the problem?
>
> My guess is that the people that work on the playboy.com website
> routinely view porno on the Internet to see what their competitors
> are doing.  Certainly you can think of environments where viewing
> it would be legitimate.

Flash to early Dilbert strip, with Wally saying "I'm going to test the
robustness of our network software under load by downloading large
binary files from some of the busiest sites on net and examining them
for errors." And after this gets nixed, thinking "Blast. I almost got
looking at dirty pictures put on my task list."

> But in most public libraries with children and parents running
> around I somehow doubt that your girlfriend would be able to do this
> for very long without being booted out. :-)

If you watch the librarians lists - or talk to some librarians -
you'll find out that they pretty uniformly dislike filtering. The
pressures you mention are much more effective than filtering software,
without the downside of blocking otherwise legitimate sites.

	<mike