Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2001 17:27:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Filesystem Sizes

On Tue, 20 Nov 2001, Mike Meyer wrote:

> f.johan.beisser <jan@caustic.org> types:
>
> > i don't care for vinum myself. software RAID isn't going to be as reliable
> > as hardware. vinum just happens to be better than most versions of
> > software RAID.
>
> Why should software loaded onto a ROM - which is what hardware RAID
> uses - be more reliable than software not loaded onto a ROM?

the ROM is less likely to be changed. admittedly, prom suffers from many
of the same problems that an OS/software raid has: changes by users,
controller issues, bad disks, computational errors, configuration errors,
bad programming, etc. the software RAID has the additional problems of:
changed configuration files, OS changes, device addressing changes
(unlikely in *BSD, but it could happen), disk failure causing kernel
panics... you get the idea.

now, please, in my /experience/, vinum hasn't cut it. i've not used vinum
since FreeBSD 3.4 or so, when i ran several tests with it, and lost just
about all the data i had on the RAID. it was rather dissapointing.