Date:      Thu, 6 Apr 2000 15:06:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Zhihui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
Cc:        Dave Runkle <drunkle@home.com>, Freebsd Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Best Time Synch Utility

On Thu, 6 Apr 2000, Dan Nelson wrote:

> In the last episode (Apr 06), Zhihui Zhang said:
> > On Thu, 6 Apr 2000, Dave Runkle wrote:
> > > A really simple one (and it's in the ports) is 'rdate', but size
> > > ain't everything. ;) The pkg is only 4k in size. It can be done via
> > > cron, once daily, weekly, whatever, stuck in periodic, or even
> > > executed from the command line, to set time on your machine or just
> > > to check time.
> > >
> > > 	# /usr/local/sbin/rdate -s time.u.washington.edu
> >
> > Can you tell me how precision this command rdate can achieve (ms or us)?
> > Thanks.
>
> Not even that precise :).  rdate only has 1-second accuracy.  There is
> no reason to use rdate on FreeBSD at all, since ntpdate has millisecond
> accuracy and comes with FreeBSD.

I am wondering how to keep a cluster of PCs in sync with each other within
millisecond (loosely synchronized) even if the time of these PCs is not
synchronized well with the outside world.  This can be used in a
timestamped concurrency control protocol.  I wonder if ntpdate is good for
this purpose.

Thanks for any insight.

-Zhihui