Date:      Thu, 22 Oct 1998 12:08:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas F Keefe <keefe@cse.psu.edu>
To:        patton@sysnet.net
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sequential Disk I/O

> if you study how the big boys liek Oracle do it, they use block sizes in
> excess of 8kb. Depending on how big your disks are 32kb blocks are
> considered more reasonable. What they do is fit multiple database "blocks"
> or records into a logical block. I suggest a vastly bigger blocksize than
> 512bytes if you're serious about performance.

By using large blocks I can approximate the
performance of sequentail access. I may have
a seek and rotation penalty at the beginning
of the transfer, but that one penalty is
amortized over a large number of sectors.
This may be my only choice if I cannot
solve this problem. At this point I have
spent a lot of time and become very curious
about this.

What I was hoping to get from this group, was
something like:

	(1) It is impossible to avoid the rotational
	    latency when issuing writes to adjacent
	    sectors on a SCSI disk because the time
	    required between the completion of one command
	    and the start of the next is a significant
	    fraction of the time it takes for a 5400RPM disk
	    platter to rotate. Thus, even with large
	    strides, the next command comes to late.
	    This, makes only one access per revolution
	    possible.

	or;

	(2) Modern SCSI drives (by default) access an
	    entire track on both reads and writes.
	    Thus, only one access is possible per revolution.
	    This default behavior can be disabled through
	    the mode page as follows ...

	or;

	(3) I have done this, the trick is to ...

If anyone could rule out (1) or (2) above, that would
also help a lot.

Any enlightenment you can offer on this topic will be
appreciated.

Tom Keefe
Dept. of Computer Science and Engineering
Penn State
keefe@cse.psu.edu