Date:      Thu, 15 Jul 2004 11:53:28 -0400
From:      Gary Corcoran <garycor@comcast.net>
To:        Gleb Smirnoff <glebius@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DHCP server over PPPoE server

Gleb Smirnoff wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 07:57:52PM -0400, Gary Corcoran wrote:
> G> I shutdown my regular DHCP server over the em0 ethernet interface,
> G> and tried starting up dhcpd to use the ng0 interface that gets
> G> created by mpd.  It complains a little about em0 and ng0 using
> G> the same subnet, but starts up and sits there, in debug mode
> G> (so I can see all messages on the console).
>
> DHCP protocol is designed for broadcast networks, not for PPP. It
> will not work on ppp interface. If you want your server to assing
> address to its clients, you should use LCP. To configure the latter
> read mpd docs.

Thanks for the reply - but I'm trying to do something a little bit
advanced, that I thought some of you might have already known about...

Yes, I am having PPPoE/PPP assign the IP address to my client.  The
problem is that I need more - specifically vendor-specific configuration
parameters, that can be obtained via DHCP.  That's why I need to run
DHCP over PPPoE.

My research indicates that rather than doing the usual DHCP DISCOVER to
start things off, I should be able to send a DHCP INFORM message,
which includes my already-assigned IP address.  The DHCP server should
see this, it then MUST NOT (according to the RFC) lookup the address
in its lease database, but it then should respond, sending the all the
configuration parameters *except* an IP address, back to the IP address
that was included in the message.

Thus my desire to get dhcpd running with mpd pppoe...
Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Gary