Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2000 16:35:17 +1100
From:      aunty <aunty@comcen.com.au>
To:        pini0n <pini0n@brokenmachine.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question regarding FreeBSD and Linux

On Thu, Jan 20, 2000 at 10:38:18PM -0600, pini0n wrote:
> BSDers,
>
> Im a newbie to linux but am catching on quickly.  Ive got the UNIX
> basics down and am now getting into more of the advanced stuff.  While
> Im battering at the learning curve for linux, I thought Id give FreeBSD
> a chance on another HD of mine.  Here's my question:
>
> How similar are linux and FreeBSD?
>
> Im running Slackware 7 w/out a GUI like X or KDE, and so am curious as
> to how similar the directory structures are, commands, etc.  Itll be
> another week or two before Im able to install it, so, I thought Id get a
> heads up on now on how similar the experience will be.

For directory layout, you could type 'man hier' on both systems and
compare, or if you don't have FreeBSD yet look at
 http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=hier&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+3.4-RELEASE&format=html

It's a matter of perspective. If your perspective is that of a recent
convert from Microsoft systems, you'll find them very similar to each
other. If you're coming from a unix background, all of the little
differences will jump out at you. For example, most of the user
commands and easy admin commands are the same, but some of the admin
differs a lot because of system differences, especially in the area of
what the system does while it is booting up. But they're still more
similar to each other than they are to Windows, OS/2, Mac, etc. Again,
if you were coming from a unix background you'd even notice a lot of
differences between different distributions of Linux that most hobby
Linux users would hardly notice. Coming from Slackware to FreeBSD you
shouldn't find too many surprises.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-