Date:      Tue, 16 Mar 1999 18:39:00 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        sas@schell.de (Sascha Schumann)
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 3.1 SMP outperforms SuSE 6.0 SMP by factor 2.3 !!!

> Alternatively, I will claim that Linux is 1200% faster, since I can calculate
> DES keys at a rate of 10M/sec on my Linux box (Alpha PC164UX, 633MHz) and only
> 0.8M/sec on my FreeBSD box (Intel Pentium, 166MHz) (yes, it is non sense).

He used identical hardware, and it's not his fault that the SMP
claims for the Linux kernel were disabled by default.  He quickly
posted revised numbers that showed Linux to be fully 84% as fast
as FreeBSD on the same hardware.

IMO, both FreeBSD and Linux SMP architectures are, to be blunt,
missing and/or childish attempts at SMP.  I think the 16% discrepancy
(19% from the how-much-faster instead of the how-much-slower
perspective) could easily be made up by Linux fixing it's scheduler
and VM problems, and that that would translate to faster UP
performance for Linux, as well as better interactive response.

Lest you think I play favorites, I also think the SVR4 and Solaris
SMP architectures are silly for claiming a scaling limit of 4-8
CPU's, since literature dating back to 1992 clearly demonstrates
how to address these issues.

The main SMP competitive failur for FreeBSD and Linux is the lack
of a unified central architectural plan, with a roadmap going
forward that addresses the SMP issue, in toto.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.