Date:      18 Jul 2001 14:43:57 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, ewalters@nms2001.com
Subject:   Re: Adding exec sh -E to login script

ewalters@nms2001.com (Eric Walters) writes:

> I am trying to figure out how I can add the "exec sh -E" to my login script
> so that when I login I can up and down arrow through my command history?

That doesn't look like a good way to start a shell.

A quick look at the 'Invocation' section of the sh(1) man page leads
me to the following suggestion:

Add:
 ENV=$HOME/.shinit; export ENV
to your ~/.profile file, and then create a ~/.shinit file, which
contains the line:
 set -o emacs

I did a quick test, and it works.