Date:      Wed, 23 Oct 2002 22:22:37 +0100 (BST)
From:      Mark Valentine <mark@thuvia.demon.co.uk>
To:        wayneclubin@yahoo.com (Wayne Lubin), Jeff Jirsa <jeff@unixconsults.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Where are the 4.7 release sources?

> From: wayneclubin@yahoo.com (Wayne Lubin)
> Date: Wed 23 Oct, 2002
> Subject: Re: Where are the 4.7 release sources?

> So is it just that the c code is not provided for a
> release version as it is for current at
>
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current/src/
>
> and
>
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current/ports/
>
> If this is the case it seems very weird. If someone
> could explain the rational for this it would be
> greatly appreciated.

There is good rationale for this.

The FreeBSD-current and FreeBSD-stable sources you found are actually
the current state of each of the two main branches of FreeBSD.  These
are updated regularly from the repository, and there's only ever one
copy of each stored on the server.  These are handy for reference
purposes, and relatively cheap to maintain.

The sources for a release are basically a snapshot of one of the
branches.  Since these sources are already provided for each release
(in the sbin.aa, sbin.ab... format you also found, which happens to
be the same format the binary and documentation part of the release
are provided in), it probably hasn't been found necessary to create
yet another copy of *each* source release in unpacked format on the
FTP mirrors.

Generally, if you want to look at the sources for the release you're
running, then install them on your machine in the same way you installed
the binary parts.

Otherwise, you're likely to want either just the latest branch
sources (which you found), or you want to see the entire CVS history
(which you can get at cvsweb.freebsd.org, or by more sophistocated
means such as cvsup'ing the repository).

I believe this is good coverage for everybody's needs, and I've omitted
a few of the more obscure possibilities.  That's not to say that unbundled
copies of the release sources on the FTP mirrors wouldn't have some use,
only that it is probably marginal.  I hope this article explains why
they aren't "just there" like the head-of-branch sources.

In short, the sources you want are available via ftp in the bundled
format, just fetch the bundles you want (e.g. for /usr/src/bin get
sbin.?? and cat them through tar xfz -).  Or just use sysinstall
to fetch and install them.

If you're not actually running FreeBSD or a UNIX system on the machine
where you want to fetch and view them, you'll have to find tools to deal
with the (relatively common) archive and compression formats (there are
versions of gzip and tar for many platforms).

		Cheers,

		Mark.

--
Mark Valentine, Thuvia Labs <mark@thuvia.co.uk>       <http://www.thuvia.co.uk>;
"Tigers will do ANYTHING for a tuna fish sandwich."       Mark Valentine uses