Date:      Tue, 23 Oct 2001 13:54:11 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>
Cc:        "Plucker, Prentice" <prentice.plucker@lodgenet.com>, "'freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: New Pormise ATA raid controller

> Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:
> > I'm not seeing any sources or documentation.  The usual deal applies,
> > though; if someone can supply enough reference material to develop a
> > driver, and a sample card, I'll take a crack at it.
>
>      The linux sources appear to be in the "Alan Cox tree", and the
> linux SX6000 driver is described as using an "i2o_block interface".

Thanks for the research!

> It's unclear if the monitoring tools will work with linux, though
> (Promise's object-only drivers do not support monitoring).

*blink*  Ok, that's not so great.  Let's see what happens there.

>      The press announcement looks interesting: dedicated i960 processor,
> parity HW, and up to 128MB cache RAM.  However, for some reason, the
> fact that they're hyping their ASIC bothers me.  From the press
> announcement:
>
> 	SuperTrak SX6000 uses Promise Technology's best-selling Ultra
> 	ATA/100 ASIC chip to automatically recognize and configure the
> 	optimal speed for most Ultra ATA/100, Ultra ATA/66, Ultra
> 	ATA/33, and EIDE drives. The ASIC has been used in more than one
> 	million controllers and PCs worldwide through OEMs and
> 	distribution channels.
>
> Isn't this the same chip that's used in their low-end "raid"
> controllers?

The ASIC is just the IDE interface.  This controller is a much more
conventional architecture than the 3ware card; it's just a processor
(the i960, which has an XOR engine in it), some RAM and a bunch of
dual-channel disk controllers (their ASIC).

What makes it more compelling is the low price point (around $300);
even a low-end SCSI RAID controller, with less FR1 and fewer parts
onboard ends up selling for more.

Monitoring may be an issue; I'll have to see whether some of our
friends with contacts at Promise can convince them to let us know how
to manage the controller.

Regards,
Mike