Date:      Thu, 19 Feb 2004 02:13:34 -0500
From:      Scott W <wegster@mindcore.net>
To:        Robert Storey <y2kbug@ms25.hinet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Win200 gateway blocking FBSD html?

Robert Storey wrote:

>I'm trying to set up a FreeBSD client machine for a school. They have never used FBSD or even Linux, they are 100% Windows. They are interested in letting their students gain experience with non-Windows software. So I need to prove to them that FBSD can work, but I've run into a major obstacle.
>
>The client machines are connected to a switch, which is connected to a Windows 2000 gateway machine to access the Internet. I set up a FBSD client, and using dhcp it can find the network. I can ping the gateway machine, and even ping the local ISP. I can also use gftp to access some anonymous ftp sites (such as FreeBSD.org) though performance seems slow.
>
>The problem - I cannot access any web sites with http. Doesn't matter if I use Konqueror, Mozilla or Lynx. Yet, all the Windows machines on this network can browse the web (using Internet Explorer) without difficulty.
>
>I find this very peculiar. Just to be sure that I don't have a misconfigured firewall on the FBSD box, I installed FBSD on my laptop, plugged it into a different network - works fine, I can surf the web. Then I plug it into the school's network, and http doesn't work, but ping and ftp can reach the outside world (though again, it's slow).
>
>Is it somehow possible that the Windows gateway only allows Internet Explorer to work? Doesn't seem possible, but what do I know? All suggestions welcome.
>
>best regards,
>Robert

Sounds like they may be using a proxy server.  IIRC, most fairly recent
versions of IE can locate a proxy without configuration (assuming it's a
Windows/MS proxy server)- not sure if that's the default configuration
for IE or not, but sounds like it's worth looking into- check out the
existing IE configuration and ensure No Proxy is selected, close IE and
relaunch- is it still able to reach outside the LAN?

Scott