Date:      Tue, 15 Jan 2002 21:16:29 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1011582990.1a3124@mired.org>
To:        Rik Scarborough <RikSca@kc.rr.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USB Printer

Rik Scarborough <RikSca@kc.rr.com> types:
> * Mike Meyer (mwm-dated-1011554262.e15458@mired.org) [020115 14:36]:
> > IIRC, the dmesg output you posted showed the device as ugen, not
> > ulpt. That means the lpt driver isn't recognizing it as a printer for
> > some reason. In this case, either 1) it's a WinPrinter connected via
> > USB, and your SOL, or
> That's possible, it's a HP, and not one of the really expensive ones.
> However, in trying to fix this, I install and setup apsfilter and it
> lists this printer (HP Photosmart 1215) as one of the HP drivers.  I'm
> hoping that means someone, somewhere has gotten it working on some
> version of *nix.

It should mean that. However, I don't know the HP printer model number
scheme. Could it be that the same printer model number is being used
on a serial port?

> > 2) you need to fix the ulpt driver to recognize
> > it.
> How would I 'fix' this driver?  I've tried deleting the ulpt0 device
> and running MAKEDEV again, but it still give me the same error.

You have to change the C code to for the ulpt driver to recognize the
printer. If you're not a programmer, you probably want to post a PR
about it. If you are a programmer but haven't done any BSD kernel
work, it'll be a bit of work to do this, but it is possible.

	<mike