Date:      Mon, 30 Dec 1996 11:48:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        tony@warp.co.uk
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ppp & modem stopped working

On Mon, 30 Dec 1996 tony@warp.co.uk wrote:

> > > I used the ppp command to connect to work and this worked fine for a
> > > few days, now all I get when I dial in is gibberish on the screen.
> > > I feel that this is possibly related to a handshaking problem.
> > >
> > > The modem is a 28.8 internal on set to com2 - com2 on the motherboard as
> > > been disabled.
> > >
> > > Does anyone know what to look for - the same system works fine with
> > > linux & windows95, and was working fine with freebsd until tonight
> >
> > Type 'show modem' at the ppp> prompt and make sure everything checks out
> > there.
>
> That's one of the first things I did :-)  All checks out ok, I though
> there might be some /etc/rc.* setting that may be the problem by not
> setting up the ports correctly, like there is on linux, I think it's
> setserial or something like that. However I can't find anything like
> that on the FreeBSD partition.

You can override the default settings with 'set speed', 'set parity', 'set
device' and so forth.  In FreeBSD, if you change the settings with stty
and the device isn't open, it'll just ignore you.

Make sure your modem is set right too -- use 'AT&F' to return it to
factory settings if necessary.

> > Did you run xf86config?
>
> Yes, I even took the Linux /etc/XF86Config file and used that, but
> that just complained about all the paths being cocked up. I'm fairly
> experianced with linux and Sun OS. X seems to load  normally,
> all the output checks ok then the system freezes as it switches to
> graphics mode, with just a black screen as if the monitor was turned
> off.

No, that probably wasn't right.  Did you install the proper X server and
made sure it's symlinked to /usr/X11R6/bin/X?

Have you tried a newer version of X?