Date:      Wed, 13 Oct 1999 20:36:49 -0400
From:      "Patrick Bihan-Faou" <patrick@mindstep.com>
To:        "Philip Hallstrom" <philip@adhesivemedia.com>, <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: pipsecd example?

Hi,

> My setup:
>
>           [---------]                                    [---------]
>           [ FreeBSD ]                                    [ FreeBSD ]
>  LAN A  --[    1    ]-- 1.1.1.1 -> INTERNET <- 2.2.2.2 --[    2    ]-- LAN
>  10.0.0.x [   3.2   ]                                    [   3.2   ]
10.2.0.x
>           [---------]                                    [---------]
>

> I've looked through the pipsecd.conf and it baffles me.  For example --
> where do the values for the various keys come from?

Your imagination... As long as one end's remote key(s) is the other end's
local key(s). There is a mistake in the sample configuration file. I will
correct it sometime...

> Also, a general question.  If I'm on client 10.2.0.5 and telnet to
> 10.0.0.5, will it say that I am from 10.2.0.5 or from 2.2.2.2?

Well it depends... If you are not running nat on the "tunX" interface (which
should be the standard case), then you will be comming from 10.2.0.5.

The "tunX" interface looks and behaves (almost) exactly as if you had a NIC
card connected to a network with only 2 hosts (the local one and the remote
one). The only difference is that instead of having a hardware connection (a
ethernet wire), it has a software one (pipsecd). BTW, this also means that
it needs an IP address on the network you chose as the "tunnel" network.

Patrick.