Date:      Sat, 21 Aug 1999 21:33:46 +0200 (MEST)
From:      "Niels M. Raijer" <niels@fusix.nl>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   boot problem: atapi1.0: unknown phase

Hi,

Recently bought The Complete FreeBSD out of curiosity. I have two Linux
systems running and in heavy daily use; I thought it would be nice to have
a FreeBSD system to go with them. I bought an (admittedly, budget) new PC
to install it on.

However, during the boot I have about a 90% chance it seems to get the
error "atapi0.1: unknown phase" (or "atapi1.0: unknown phase", depending
on whether I connect the CD-ROM to the primary or secondary
IDE-interface).

I tried exchanging the CD-ROM players in the new PC and in both Linux
boxes. They are a Lite-on LTN301, Lite-on LTN382 and Philips PCA408CDB.
All three exhibit the same behavior in the FreeBSD box, yet all three work
fine in any of the Linux boxes.

On one web page I found the explanation that the atapi error is a sure
sign of a sucky CD-ROM player. I find this hard to believe -- after all
they work fine under Linux, and FreeBSD is supposed to be *better*, right
:-) ?

Is there some sort of patch or something that would make my system boot a
little more reliably (as in, nearly 100% of the time)?

By keeping fingers crossed, being really, really persistent and rebooting
a lot of times, I have been able to install FreeBSD correctly, but
whenever I reboot, the atapi error comes back to hunt me :-)

Is there something I can do?

Thanks,
--Niels

-- =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-* "Wandering far from nowhere
Fusix Networks - http://www.fusix.nl     |  I came across an old man
 - Computercursussen van iMac tot Office |  working alone..."
 - Linux-servers voor Intranet           |  'Something to live for,' GEG
Niels Raijer - http://www.nest.nl/~niels *-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=