Date:      Thu, 25 Apr 2002 22:07:21 -0400
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        Tuc <tuc@ttsg.com>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dell 8200 - NVIDIA GeForce4 440 Go - XF86

On Thursday 25 April 2002 10:00 pm, Tuc wrote:
| Hi,
|
| 	Just bought a Dell 8200 with :
|
| NVIDIA GeForce4 440 Go video controller with 64 MB of DDR RAM

That's unfortunate; it would have been better to get an ATI chip (which were
available upon request for the 7500, 8000, and 8100, at least, so probably
for the 8200 though I don't know for sure).

But I think you can make it work if you cvsup to the latest ports and build
XFree86 4.2 from the ports.

nvidia is, in general, bad news, and the best advice is to stay away from
them if you can.

--
Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                        http://www.babbleon.org

http://www.eff.org                      http://www.programming-freedom.org

If you smell the smoke you don't need to be told what you've got to do;
Yet there's a certain breed, so very in-between, they'd rather take a
vote.   -- DEVO  --  Here To Go