Date:      23 Oct 1999 01:43:19 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   kernel sources

Well, since I installed FreeBSD, a few weeks ago, I am getting more and more
impressed by the design of the whole thing.  I was browsing through the
sources the last couple of days, especially the kernel sources.

Having read about the `mount -o rw /dev/fd0' bug, that fails to recognize
write-protected floppies, I was thinking that it would be a nice thing to get
myself acquainted with the kernel sources by trying to, ahem, fix this thing.
However, reading the *entire* kernel sources seems quite daunting, and I was
wondering if any of you can recommend some `kernel internals' introductory
docs that I should start with.

The best thing I've done so far was to use `etags' to produce a TAGS file in
/usr/src/sys and several M-. or M-, commands in XEmacs to jump around in the
sources, but this does not seem to be enough... at least at first.

Any suggestions for extra reading before actually playing around with my
kernel sources are obviously welcome :)

--
Giorgos Keramidas, <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
"What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing." [Aristotle]