Date:      Fri, 19 Jun 1998 05:22:44 -0400
From:      MALCOLM BOFF <Malcolm_Boff@compuserve.com>
To:        doug <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: PPP, cu and US Robotics 14,400 Sporster FAX Modem

> On Fri, 12 Jun 1998, MALCOLM BOFF wrote:

>> I guess that I have tried just about everything but I will
>> pop off and try your strings and get back in a mo !
>> (I should say to you that the same modem is being used
>> to connect to my ISP via MS$ Windoze and send this eMail
>> so I can't see why FreeBSD is having such a problem).
>>
>> Well I tried your Hayes strings as follows :-
>> AT
>> OK
>> ATZ
>> OK
>> AT&F1
>> ERROR     (this is not in my manual so tried ...
>> AT&F
>> OK
>> ATDTxxxxxxx

> no CONNECT line?

Apologies "Connect"

>> <line of hierglyphics as before>

> Can you print a snippet of these characters, if they aren't highbit
> graphics?  If the have lots of {'s it should be a PPP frame ....

They are characters with ASCII values in the range
128 to 255 ...

There does not appear to be any '('s in the string.

Brian showed me how to debug PPP in such a manner that
the input string appears in hex but unfortunately this
zips off the screen. I can find no way to put it into
/var/log/ppp.log for further analysis (or to any other
file for that matter).