Date:      Sat, 24 Jul 1999 07:14:41 -0700
From:      Dann Lunsford <dann@greycat.com>
Cc:        "Questions List FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Certification

Roy Bettle wrote:

> ABSOLUTELY LOVE YOUR "MCSE" ANALOGY!!  Yah; know what you mean about certs; been
> doing this for 15 years ... probably should get around to getting a cert one of
> these days ...

Thing is, the people who get these certs (around here, at least) are
totally clueless;
as Mr. Wells noted, they're good only at taking exams.  I've lost count
of the times
I've had to bail these idiots out, or fix their screwups.  Yet the suits
seem to think
that because they've been "certified", they rate pay raises and
promotions.  If I seem
bitter, it's because I am.  Yes, I know I could get a cert, but given
these jerks, I'm
not sure I *want" to be in the same class.

The thing that *really* offends me is the awful misuse of the term
"engineer":  MCSE, CNE,
etc.  I work with REAL engineers (civil, mechanical, and electrical);
I've seen what they
go through to get and keep that rating.  My ladyfriend back in college
was an EE; I
watched her sweat blood for four years.  And then I see some idiot that
crammed for two
weeks... *AAARRRRGGGHHHH* (I'm *not* an engineer, BTW; my degrees are in
math, physics,
and philosophy)

Hmmm... Topic drift.  Better take this to -chat before the topic police
come down on us.