Date:      Fri, 26 Feb 1999 07:27:44 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb@comkey.com.au>
To:        "Richard E. Hawkins Esq." <rhawkins@iastate.edu>
Cc:        Pat Lynch <lynch@rush.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: csh or bash (newbie)

[Apologies to anybody who sees this twice.  I had a slip of the
fingers earlier this morning.]

> I would like  a .file that, on starting interactively, checks to see
> if bash is  available, and then executes it, otherwise staying in sh

It's not quite clear what you mean.  If you mean that you'd like
to have your login shell set to sh but that it should check for
bash and run that instead, it's trivial.  Put the following lines
at the top of your ~/.profile file:

[ "x$BASH" = "x" ] && [ -x /usr/local/bin/bash ] &&
    SHELL=/usr/local/bin/bash exec /usr/local/bin/bash --login

This makes sure that you're not already running bash and then
replaces your shell with a bash login shell if it's available.

--
Greg Black <gjb@acm.org>