Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 1995 12:48:58 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        lray@aurora.liunet.edu
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bad super block

> I've just installed FreeBSD 2.1.0 on a 486/66 (intel).  The computer
> has 2 ide hard drives, the 1st is a 400 mg Cavier drive and the second
> a 600 mg Seagate.  I installed from floppies I created, and the whole
> install went fine except I was never asked for the compat1x or compat20
> floppies and got a message that they weren't installed.  When I boot
> the machine, I get a message:
>
> /dev/rwd0a: BAD SUPER BLOCK: VALUES IN SUPER BLOCK DISAGREE WITH THOSE IN FIRST
> ALTERNATE
>
> /dev/rwd0a: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY
>
> running fsck manually just repeats the "BAD SUPER BLOCK message and prints:
> Floating exception - core dumped
>
> If anyone can help me get a clean installation I'd be forever greatful.

The "bad superblock" message indicates that the superblock is corrupt.

Typicall this will happen only in the case that something is writing that
area of your disk.

My first suspect would be the MSDOS FS.  Are you mounting your DOS
partition read/write?  Don't.

Other possibilities include: placement of the BSD partition on disk
is inconsistent with the partition table and/or disklabel data.  Are
you sure you told the install the geoemetry that your IDE drive uses?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.