Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 2000 16:57:25 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sysinstall DOESN'T ASK, dangerous defaults! (Was: Re: wats so special about freeBSD?)

On Fri 2000-09-22 (07:34), Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group wrote:
> > If you could tell us how to plug them in somewhere, it might be nice.
> > Do we have 'awk' on the install disk so it can be used there?
> > something.)
>
> Search the -security and -arch archives for the subject "Option 3".

I have read it.  It is in my "reasons why inetd's current configuration
format sucks" mailbox encouraging me to propose an additional way to
configure inetd using a directory + file structure.

> Plugging in the awk scripts somewhere, could be in /etc or /usr/sbin,
> and an option in sysinstall.  (Editing inetd.conf after an install is a
> pain).

I asked how, not "where do you place scripts on a filesystem?", or "what
is the name of the installer?".

I don't think we want to make even more sysinstall hacks, as it is
exceedingly complicated and time-consuming (especially according to Mr.
Glass - hours of painstaking choices).

I think inetd_enable="YES"/"NO" is mostly sufficient.  Anything beyond
that is the realm of the administrator.  Perhaps we can put your scripts
in /usr/share/examples/inetd/, along with example configurations, like
inetd.conf.rsh, inetd.conf.ftp, inetd.conf.full.  Then have a
mostly-empty /etc/inetd.conf that isn't self-documenting, with ftp and
commented out telnet and (internal) auth.

What else do people run out of inetd?  (I don't know - I don't have any
systems that run inetd, except one with only internal auth so I can IRC
from it)

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner