Date:      Fri, 22 Oct 1999 22:44:26 +0000
From:      Joseph Scott <joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Oracle DBD (or how to connect to Oracle Database)

Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

> Dave Hummel <dhummel@ppgweb.com> writes:
>
> [snip]
>
> > Or is there another solution entirely?
>
> If you're not completely stuck on DB::Ora, you could try using PHP.  Their
> home page at <http://www.php.net/>; should provide you with all the information
> you need.  I think that using PHP with Oracle is a lot easier, but this is my
> own personal opinion... and I am not trying to force anyone to agree with me.

	I don't think either of them will work, they require the Oracle Client
libs, which is the problem I believe.  Because they are for Linux they
won't compile with FreeBSD version of PHP or the DBD/DBI::ORA stuff.  If
I'm wrong I would love for someone to point out how to make PHP3 link
against the Oracle Client libs for Oracle support under FreeBSD.  I
tried this many, many, many times and didn't have any luck.  Then again
there may be someone out there with more diligence and intelligence than
I who has made it work

--

Joseph Scott
joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu