Date:      Fri, 21 Aug 1998 17:05:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG, z800441a@bc.seflin.org
Subject:   Re: FTP commands

>Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 19:12:20 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Earl Bediant <z800441a@bc.seflin.org>

>How do I do anonymous FTP from your site?

Well, that's going to depend on:

* What sort of FTP client software you (want to) use;

* Whether or not there are any kinds of "firewalls" between you and
  ftp.freebsd.org.

(There may be other considerations, but these are what come to mind
presently.)

For example, here's a "typescript" of a session:

Script started on Fri Aug 21 17:02:54 1998
pau-amma[2]% ncftp -L ftp.freebsd.org
NcFTP 2.4.2 (October 28, 1996), by Mike Gleason, NCEMRSoft.
Tip: If you miss the old "macdef init" macros which "ftp" ran when a specific
     site was opened, you can still do it with NcFTP.  You need to put macros
     in your "macros" file named ".open.<sitename>" where <sitename> is the
     nickname assigned to the host.

Trying to connect to ftp.freebsd.org...
Welcome to wcarchive - home FTP site for Walnut Creek CDROM.
There are currently 2879 users out of 3200 possible.

Most of the files in this area are also available on CDROM.  You can send
email to info@cdrom.com for more information or to order, or visit our Web
site at http://www.cdrom.com.  For tech support about our products, please
email support@cdrom.com.  You may also call our toll-free number:
1-800-786-9907 or +1-510-674-0783.  Please keep in mind that we only offer
technical support for our CDROM products and not for the files on our
FTP server.

This machine is a P6/200 with 1GB of memory & 224GB of disk online.
The operating system is FreeBSD. Should you wish to get your own copy of
FreeBSD, see the pub/FreeBSD directory, visit http://www.freebsd.org, or
mail to info@FreeBSD.org for more information.  FreeBSD on CDROM can be
ordered using the WEB at http://www.cdrom.com/titles/os/freebsd.htm or by
sending email to orders@cdrom.com.

Slow downloads?  Please see ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/archive-info/slow.txt
for more information.

100Mbps colocation services provided by CRL Network Services. For more
information, please visit http://www.crl.com.

GTEI/BBN Planet customers, please read ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/bbn-notice.txt

Please send mail to ftp-bugs@ftp.cdrom.com if you experience any problems.
Please also let us know if there is something we don't have that you think
we should!

Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
freebsd:/.25/FreeBSD/newsletter> get issu*.txt
Already have issue1.txt.
Already have issue2.txt.
freebsd:/.25/FreeBSD/newsletter> pau-amma[3]% ^Dexit

Script done on Fri Aug 21 17:03:47 1998

david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621