Date:      15 Feb 2001 16:01:43 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Jerry.Uanino@usi.net
Subject:   Re: image server?

Jerry.Uanino@usi.net (Uanino, Jerry) writes:

> I have seen a few posts, but no answer on this question:
> Are there directions on creating an install (aka ignite, jumpstart,
> kickstart) server?  In other words I would like to point my local machines
> to build off a server here.

You need an FTP server with the right layout.  I don't recall what
that is offhand, but it's the same as the layout on the official
servers, and relative to the right root, the same as the layout on
the (nee) Walnut Creek CDROMs.

> If I understand it right I should be able to do a make release and then make
> that directory available over ftp (the resulting directory).  Are the floppy
> disks made in there as well and will they point to my local server?

The floppy disks are made that way, but they won't know about your
local server by default.  They give you an opportunity, early in the
install process, to specify where you're installing from.  Typing in
an FTP server is one of your choices.