Date:      Sun, 26 Mar 2000 17:55:51 -0500
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        Don Read <dread@texas.net>
Cc:        Jim Freeze <jim@freeze.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to access POP3 mail?

Don Read wrote:

> On 26-Mar-00 Jim Freeze wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > I only have remaining how to access my email, which now sits
> > out on a POP3 server from my ISP.
>
> <snip>
>

> > He says to get popper from ports. I can't find it in ports. What
> > cd is it on.
>
> (q)popper is the daemon that lets "your" box be a POP3 server, not needed in
> this instance.
>
> <snip>
>
> > So, what is the best way to get my email to my desktop, which has
> > to dial up via a modem?
> >

> For X-Windows, I use xfmail; will pull directly from multiple POP/IMAP accounts.
> I beleive mutt has a similar capability.
>
> Another option is fetchmail, it fetches mail from the POP server(s) and forwards
> it to your local /var/mail/~ using sendmail (procmail, ...).
>
> > Also, once I get the mail, how do I configure (sendmail?, mutt?) to
> > send mail to the outside world?
>
> add your isp's mail server in your /etc/sendmail.cf :
>
> # "Smart" relay host (may be null)
> DSmail.yourisp.net
> ----
>
> The mutt config file has a place to define the relay if I remember.

Just a cautionary note,  if you are going to relay
through your ISP, they must add your IP or hostname to
their relay-domains file.

It's much simpler to just use XFMAIL or Netscape and set
up the POP stuff to point to their mail server. You
can use your own sendmail for outgoing to get around
the "anti-spam" rules on your ISP.

--
Jim Durham