Date:      Thu, 29 Mar 2001 10:50:21 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Roger Merritt <mcrogerm@stjohn.ac.th>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Howto's (Was: Boot Block help!)

Roger Merritt <mcrogerm@stjohn.ac.th> types:
> This diverges from the question under discussion, but where are HOWTO's for
> FreeBSD? Do you just use the Linux HOWTO'S, modifying the instructions as
> necessary? I found the Linux HOWTO on setting up printers was very helpful
> to me, but haven't tried others. Or is there a separate section of HOWTO's
> in the FreeBSD documentation that I haven't found (yet). Also, if I write a
> HOWTO, to whom should I submit it? I haven't really been able to understand
> the FreeBSD Documentation Project page at the web site -- it seems to
> require previous knowledge of concepts, organization, history, and personal
> relations that I don't have.

There's is a "HOWTO" section on the FreeBSD web site, but it doesn't
seem to have a lot of entries.  Explicit instructions wind up in
either the Handbook or the FAQ, depending on the length of the
instructions.

If you've written a HOWTO, then submit it with the send-pr
command. The best form to submit it in is as a diff between existing
documentation and a version with your HOWTO, which means you've
changed the source to the documentation. New text marked up properly
is second best. If you can't deal with the markup (and anyone who can
deal with HTML should be able to deal with the markup), submit plain
text. That will require a committer to find the time to mark it up, so
it will sit in the queue longer.

	<mike