Date:      Mon, 2 Aug 1999 08:26:52 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@iaces.com>
To:        dkelly@hiwaay.net (David Kelly)
Cc:        capdevie@Haas.Berkeley.EDU, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DSL network connectivity, please.

In a previous message, David Kelly said:
> "Edgard Capdevielle" writes:
> > I want to setup my FreeBSD box so that it connects to the internet with DSL.
> > I have searched the archives and found similar questions but no answers.
> >
> > My ISP gave me a fixed hostname IP, a netmask, a DNS IP, a secondary DNS IP,
> > and a gateway IP. My box is a Gateway GP6 350 with 64 RAM and two NICs: pn0
> > and pn1 that are 10/100 Ethernet cards.  When using Win98 it is easy to
> > setup because they have a driver name.  In FreeBSD I do not know which card
> > is pn0 or pn1.  The FreeBSD book does not cover DSL connections.
>
> You have a static IP address, so there really isn't anything special to
> cover for DSL other than the fact one usually shouldn't place more than

Why is this a fact? Ok, it isn't. We configure Bridged mode DSL modems
to handout 5 dhcp addresses. PPP mode can run it's own dhcp server and
will hand out as many as you request and will use PAT.

> one device on a DSL or cablemodem. You seem to have that covered with
> two NIC's.
>
> Assuming the NICs are identical make and model (else they would be easy
> to tell apart) to tell which NIC is which there is usually a sticker
> showing the MAC address. FreeBSD shows the MAC addresses for each card
> when the card is probed. You can review the startup probe output with
> "dmesg | more".

> Otherwise you could simply configure one for the DSL link. If that
> doesn't work then plug your DSL ethernet into the other NIC. No need to
> reboot in between.

Actually, since he already has one (at least) configured with Windows,
it the first doesn't come up right, do the other.

--
`The time has come,' the Walrus said,    Of shoes--and ships--and sealing wax--
   `To talk of many things:              Of cabbages--and kings--

                    And why the sea is boiling hot--
                    And whether pigs have wings.'

                                        --Lewis Carol