Date:      Mon, 14 Jun 1999 14:23:25 +0200
From:      Guy Lateur <glateur@mri2.rug.ac.be>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   CD-R / HP 8100+ / dagrab

Hi all,

I'm using 3.1-RELEASE. I've been succesfully burning CD-R's using
wormcontrol & dd; if anybody is interested in the details, please let me
know. The following are just a few minor things  I'd like cleared out...

As for extracting audio, I've used both cdd and dagrab. The former
extracts DA at about 3.0 speed, the latter at 5.1 speed. Unfortunately,
dagrab produces WAV-files, so to copy audio tracks, I have to use sox to
convert these back to CDA-format (which sox calls CDR). This conversion
step takes quite a lot of time (a 75 min. audio CD is read in 15 min.,
written in 18 min., while conversion takes about 25 min. on my P150 w/
32MB), so I was wondering if it would be possible to include support for
CDA in dagrab (it can't be harder than producing WAV's, or can it?). Or
maybe someone has a clue as to why cdd is that slow compared to dagrab
(with which I use the -n 200 switch; no jitter correction reported). By
the way, disabling jitter correction on cdd not always produces the same
results as with jitter correction turned on (although the differences
are minimal (usually only the first track) and it extracts at a blazing
1200 K/sec). By another way, the CDR's produced by dagrab > sox are
different from those obtained using cdd (with JC).
Also, is there a way to get rid of the 2 sec. delay times introduced (by
wormcontrol nextwriteable?) while burning audio a track at a time? Maybe
there's an ATAPI equivalent to cdrdao..?
Any hints/suggestions are vastly appreciated.
g.