Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 2000 21:57:47 -0400
From:      David David <ddavid@ican.net>
To:        pahowes@fair-ware.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newbie upgrade question...

"Paul A. Howes" wrote:

> All-
>
> For a while, I tracked 3.4-STABLE using the RELENG_3_4_0_RELEASE tag in my
> supfile.  When I decided to make the move to 4.0, I used
> RELENG_4_0_0_RELEASE instead.  After the update completed, I checked
> /usr/src/UPDATING for the 3.4 -> 4.0 "recipe" that has been publicized on
> this list.  In a previous post to this list, Eric Ogren stated that the
> kernel should be built with "make buildkernel KERNEL=GENERIC".  I do not see
> this anywhere in the UPDATING file.  Rather, mine would have me build the
> kernel with the old "config GENERIC ; cd ../../compile/GENERIC ; make depend
> && make" at this point
>
> This leads me to the obvious question:  Am I using the right branch name/tag
> in my supfile, or is the corrected version of UPDATING on CURRENT?

when i did the cvs on my machine, the tag i placed in the cvsfile was
"RELENG_4" which i got from somewhere ( cannot remember off hand )

after everything was finished, my UPDATING file does indeed specify 4.0,
with a build kernel section with -- make buildkernel  make installkernel

went into single mode, make buildworld, make installworld, and it works
perfectly, no probs what so ever with the build or install..

By the way, is used the little cvsup script i found in the handbook
section

hope this helps......

David