Date:      Tue, 12 May 2015 08:26:43 +0100
From:      Arthur Chance <freebsd@qeng-ho.org>
To:        nightrecon@hotmail.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: permissions and ownership of /usr/src

On 12/05/2015 01:57, Michael Powell wrote:
> Lowell Gilbert wrote:
>
>> Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de> writes:

>>> /usr/src should belong to root:wheel and have rwxr-xr-x permissions
>>> (those are the defaults). Does mergemaster indicate an error for
>>> /usr/src itself or for a subdirectory thereof?
>
> I was wondering about this too, e.g. is the permission error in /var/tmp/
> when mergemaster is trying to create the temproot directory tree under
> /var/tmp, and reflecting back through mergemaster when it fails. Somehow, I
> don't really think it likely, as a time or two I've had a problem like this
> mergemaster was very explicit about what was wrong.

I have a note to myself in one of my machine's /etc/fstab that reads

# Note: whereas noexec,nosuid seems like a good idea on /tmp,
# make -C /usr/src installworld creates programs under /tmp that
# it uses to do the install, so fails with the secure options.

As I've switched to using freebsd-update lately this is irrelevant for
me now, but maybe this is what's hitting the OP. ISTR that mergeemaster
does something with make in /usr/src.

--
Those who do not learn from computing history are doomed to
GOTO 1