Date:      Thu, 25 May 2000 09:01:26 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Chuck Paterson <cp@bsdi.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Preemptive kernel on older X86 hardware

In message <200005241446.IAA05589@berserker.bsdi.com> Chuck Paterson writes:
: 	Once FreeBSD has a preemptive kernel FreeBSD will only run on
: 	Pentium or better X86 processors.

This is likely unacceptible in the embedded market.  We're using
boards with a UP 486 133's on them (actually AMDs, but you get the
idea).  We need some way to build kernels for these boxes.  It sure
would be nice, but isn't required, to have the same kernel for pentium
UP machines.

I would have no problem saying SMP is only supported on Pentiums or
newer.

Warner