Date:      Tue, 30 Jan 2001 10:10:19 -0800
From:      Ken Key <key@network-alchemy.com>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New IBM BIOS upgrade fixes problem booting from FreeBSD slices

The latest X20 BIOS (vers. IZET65WW) does not exhibit the problem with
partition type 165 problem with FreeBSD.  I've used this version and
the one that shipped on the X20 successfully with FreeBSD (sorry, I
can't find my notes with the original BIOS version).  So I wouldn't
expect it to get reflected in the X20 BIOS.  I did have the problem
on A21p's, though.

I will test the new T21 BIOS on my machine later today.  Crossing my
fingers...

K^2

> > Looks like IBM got out of denial mode... Quote from the URL provided
> > in the included mail: "(Fix) System can not boot from a hard disk with
> > partition ID of n5h.(n is 1 or greater)"
>
> As of right now, this isn't visible across the entire range; e.g. it's
> not being reflected in the X20, A21p BIOS updates.  Hopefully as new BIOS
> revisions are spun for these systems, the fix will cross-propagate.
>
> Thanks for the heads-up - nobody I've been talking to has said anything
> at all. 8(
>
> --
> ... every activity meets with opposition, everyone who acts has his
> rivals and unfortunately opponents also.  But not because people want
> to be opponents, rather because the tasks and relationships force
> people to take different points of view.  [Dr. Fritz Todt]
>            V I C T O R Y   N O T   V E N G E A N C E

Ken Key (key@cips.nokia.com, key@Network-Alchemy.com)
Nokia,  Clustered IP Solutions, Santa Cruz, CA