Date:      Mon, 2 Mar 1998 15:49:57 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        knowtree@aloha.com, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How to get around failing reverse DNS lookups?

On Sun,  1 March 1998 at 19:13:59 -1000, Gary Dunn wrote:
> I run a caching-only DNS on Windows NT server at work to speed up
> frequently used lookups, because our "real" DNS servers are distant and
> slow (long story omitted). This particular server is not registered by
> its actual name, although the IP address does belong to me (another long
> story).

Sounds like you should tell selected parts of the story.  If you own
the domain, you should be able to arrange reverse mapping.

> Certain operations such as FTP connections to my FreeBSD box are slow
> because of this -- the inability to perform a reverse lookup (IP to host
> name). I have placed an entery in the hosts file, but it does not help.
>
> Short of fully registering my server, and without violating Internet
> policy, is there a way to improve on this?

Well, I suppose you're violating Internet policy already if you don't
perform reverse mapping.

> My only guess is to manually load an entery for the missing server
> in the DNS table, but I don't think that is possible when running
> WinNT DNS in cache-only mode.

I can't speak for Microsoft.  It is possible with FreeBSD, though not
exactly kosher.

Greg