Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 2000 21:50:35 -0500
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        Robert@msia.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NEC ATAPI CD-ROM giving incompatibility errors at Kernel load time (writing as instructed in The Complete FreeBSD, p. 100)

On Wed, Mar 29, 2000 at 06:38:26PM -0800, Robert@msia.org wrote:
> Dear FreeBSD:
>
> I am attempting to install FreeBSD 3.4 on a Dell Dimemsion XPS P133c to
> prove to my boss that even on what our company considers an outdated
> machine, a UN*X operating system will still be more robust, stable, and
> configurable than our current NT Servers. I need some help. The CD-ROM
> that comes with this Dell is made by NEC and isn't responding properly. I
> have tried rebuilding the kernel with various paramaters to no avail.
>
> Here is the load-time error (more or less -- it flashes by):
>
> wdc1 at 0x170-0x177 irq 15 on isa
> unit 0 ATAPI (NEC 273/4.21removable I/O ready)
> ATAPI1.0 unknown phase
> controller not ready for cmd
> controller not ready for cmd
>
> Then FreeBSD boots fine but I can't mount the drive.
>
> ANY help is greatly appreciated here .... I've been bragging about the
> wonders of FreeBSD (which *ran* the ISP I used to work for in Berkeley :-)
> and want to show it's stuff.

I have one that does the same thing on an old P5 to,

wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 on isa
wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <WDC AC2540H>
wd0: 515MB (1056384 sectors), 1048 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
wdc0: unit 1 (atapi): <NEC                 CD-ROM DRIVE:260/.110>, removable, dma, iordis
atapi0.1: invalid command phase, ireason=0x0, status=50<ready,opdone>, error=0

I thought this might be why the 4.0 kernel would panic when loading
onto this machine, but it did it even when the CDROM was
disconnected. Now I think it might be the IDE controller itself, and I
wonder if IDE controller is to blame for this ATAPI error too.

You would not happen to know what type of IDE controller you have?