Date:      Thu, 21 Jul 2005 16:11:52 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Efren Bravo <efrenba@dhl.co.cu>
Subject:   Re: install kde from CD?

On Thursday 21 July 2005 02:28 pm, Efren Bravo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Currently I have installed the kde from the ftp site.
>
> But I want to install it from a cd. I have been seeing into
> ftp://ftp2.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/ports/ and there are only
> one file. If I download this file and burn it into a cd, can I
> install the kde.

That is just a tarbal of the port tree. You need it to update the ports=20
or check for the current version but it isn't the packages or source.=20
You need them to do a real install.

> Remember these are my first  steps in freeBSD.

You need an iso of the OS that you can burn onto a CD or DVD. Then, you=20
can use it to install everything.

The ISOs are in ftp://ftp2.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ISO-IMAGES-i386. The=20
5.4 disc-1 iso is 537 MB and downloading that in cu-land can take=20
awhile. A CD via DHL may be a lot faster :). The port tarbal will also=20
be on the iso.

There is also an espa=F1ol list at
https://listas.es.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo

Kent