Date:      Mon, 31 Jan 2000 10:52:56 +0100
From:      "Marcel Moolenaar" <marcel@scc.nl>
To:        "Josef Karthauser" <joe@pavilion.net>, "John Baldwin" <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven" <asmodai@bart.nl>, <committers@freebsd.org>, <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: More world breakage

> only.  In -stable, and in -current before the end of December the
> following tools:  ls, rm, chflags, find, xinstall and mtree used
> a common set of routines to manipulate file flags.
[snip]
> tool.  At the beginnig of January, because of the proliferation of
> utilities using these functions, I moved them to libutil in -current.
[snip]
> modes (setmode/getmode).  This was what I did last week, renaming
> flags_to_string to getflags, and string_to_flags to setflags.  I
[also moved to libc -- snip]

> It may be argued that we should back out _both_ commits and resurrect
> bin/ls/stat_flags.c.  Would this gain us anything?

Yes and no. The commits had a reason. Backing them out completely would only
result in a second series of equivalent commits. It seems that install(1) is
the only problem child. We can revert install(1) to have it's own set of
functions and leave the rest as is. After installworld has been completed,
install(1) can be changed back to use the libc versions. Comments?

marcel